- Ecology of the agricultural landscape (set aside, ecological compensation areas, renewable resource plants);
- Ecology of invasive species, biological control of pests and weeds (e.g. projects on slugs, Cirsium arvense, Heracleum mantegazzianum, Impatiens glandulifera), impact and risk assessment protocols, early warning system;
- Ecology and non-target-effects of transgenic plants (oilseed rape, corn, wheat);
- Ecology of spiders (biochemistry and ecology of spider venom, macroecology of spiders, European spider identification key, spider systematics, barcoding, World Spider Catalog).
- Virtual Institute of Spider Taxonomic Research.
||Master in Ecology (Diploma), University of Marburg, Germany|
||PhD, University of Marburg, Germany|
||Visiting scientist, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Panama|
||Habilitation in Zoology, University of Marburg, Germany|
1985 - 1988
||Assistant professor, Institute of Zoology, University of Regensburg, Germany|
||Full professor for ecology at the Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Bern, Switzerland|